Home Bulletin: Wednesday, May 20, 2020
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
Society Meeting: Plan to join our virtual society meeting to TONIGHT, May 20 at 7:00 pm. Information was sent via email and posted on Bloomz. The meeting will be held via Zoom at the following link: https://dordt.zoom.us/j/92727159602.
Thank you to the 8th graders for helping us plan graduation! We’ve done everything we can to make this a memorable and special event while still following all guidelines. It should be fun! We have been partnering with the police department and Community Health Partners to organize this event in a way that is safe.
- The ceremony will be May 21 at 7:00 PM at the All Seasons Center parking lot. Rain date is May 22. Thank you to the All Seasons Center for partnering with us!
- We will be reserving closer parking spots for graduates near the stage. One parking spot will be reserved per graduate. Ushers will be available to assist. Everyone is invited to attend, and we are not putting any limit on how many may attend per graduate. Let’s fill up the parking lot!
- Everyone should plan to stay in their car, sit in the back of a pick-up, or sit outside on the driver side of their vehicle so that we can follow the 6-foot distancing guidelines. We will remind everyone to stay 6 feet from those not in their household.
- We are partnering with KDCR 88.5 FM, who will broadcast the entire event. Tune here on your vehicle radio to hear everything. Thank you to KDCR for partnering with us!
- The program will be posted on the website.
- Each graduate will receive a diploma and a special treat from school.
- Graduates are invited to decorate their vehicles with streamers, balloons, pictures, etc. Get creative!
- We will sing, pray, read the class verse, and hear teacher memories. Students will receive their diploma, and we’ll honk to congratulate.
- The event will be livestreamed.
- Graduates, please remember to send in a picture email@example.com. Amy will then make a class composite, which we will send to you. Pictures of the night will also be taken and sent to you as well as a link to the livestream. Details about picture specifics are on Bloomz.
- Instead of a reception at the end of the ceremony, we are going to do a parade around town. Everyone is invited to join the parade, and we’ll make sure to drive by school so graduates can wave goodbye. Mr. Mills and Mrs. Tietgen will lead the parade right after the ceremony.
- The 8th grade memory video will be posted as a link once it is available. Pictures of the event will also be available afterwards.
Congratulations to the class of 2020 on their accomplishment, and we look forward to celebrating with you!
From the SCCS Library: Thank you for your support of our school’s library learning commons this year! Fines for lost and damaged books are currently being processed. An email will notify you that a fine has been assigned. Fines are due May 21. Please contact Mrs. Van Soelen if you have questions. Thanks!
School Lunch Accounts - Family lunch accounts must be paid in full by the end of the school year. No family account can have a "balance due" when we do our year-end report to the State of Iowa. Those accounts with extra funds will be held over until the next school year.
For the remainder of the year, please bring your Box Tops and Godfather's fedoras to school and place them in the collection box located in the entryway. We will continue to collect through May 22. Thank you for your support of the Box Top program this year. Contact Emily Mouw (303) 437-6430 or Jackie Altena (712) 449-5797 with any questions.
School Office Hours: The school office will be closed on May 22 and 25. Hours for May 26-29 are from 8:00-12:00 and summer hours will begin on June 1 (Monday-Thursday 8:00-1:00, Fridays off). We will also be closed June 29-July 3.
TRIP Office: Summer hours for the TRIP Office will be Monday-Fridays 8:00-1:00. We will be closed June 29-July 3.
We are thankful for the service of these people who will be moving to other callings next school year. We wish them God’s blessings as they continue to serve Him!
- Nancy Bonnema (Director of Food Services)
- Ruth Clark (7/8 Teacher)
- Julie De Groot (5/6 Teacher)
- Rebecca De Vries (Middle School Music Teacher)
- Jeremy Mills (7/8 Teacher)
- Leah Mouw (School Counselor)
- Adam Potter (Paraprofessional)
- Anita Rens (Head Cook)
- Michaela Rozeboom (1st Teacher)
- Tammy Zevenbergen (Paraprofessional)
We praise God for the dedication of these individuals to the mission of our school! Retiring this year are Mrs. Cheryl Haan, Mrs. Carla Nibbelink, and Mrs. Geri Van Ruler. We encourage you to reach out to these ladies to thank them for their years of service at SCCS. We wish them a blessed retirement!
- Cheryl Haan (School Records Coordinator) – 14 years (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Carla Nibbelink (Title 1 and Paraprofessional) – 42 years (email@example.com)
- Geri Van Ruler (Paraprofessional) – 33 years (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We invite people to consider the opportunity to work with a dedicated faculty and staff, passionate parents, and fantastic students through several positions opening for the 2020-21 school year! Please help us spread the word. For details on the positions and how to apply, go to our website: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/about/employment.cfm.
Positions opening for the next school year are:
- FULL-TIME 7/8 MATH TEACHER
- TWO PART-TIME COOK POSITIONS
THANK YOU to all who participated in our Trail’Raiser Night Online Auction, Truth T-shirt sales, and Prayer Magnets!! THANK YOU to our generous matching donors! We’ll share the total amount raised next week. We PRAISE GOD for His generosity THROUGH ALL of YOU!
Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm).
The 2020-21 School Calendar can be found here: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/editoruploads/files/SCCS_Calendar_2020-2021.pdf.
Do you have a child who is ready to start school this fall? Round Up is postponed until a later date. Go to our website (siouxcenterchristian.com/admissions) or stop by the office for our Round Up packet. If you know of any families who might be interested in sending their child to SCCS, please share this information with them!
Sioux Center Christian School is excited to offer a new childcare opportunity for 4-year olds enrolled in morning preschool for the 2020-21 school year! It is called 4Care and will be held Monday through Thursday afternoons and all day on Fridays at school. We are also excited to offer busing options for Preschool students and our TK students for the 2020-21 school year! Head to our website for all the details on 4Care and Busing: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/admissions/4care.cfm
Parents of TK-5th Graders: Have you registered for Tales and Trails 2020 Summer Camp? You can sign up at the following link: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/editoruploads/files/TalesTrailsSummerCamp_2020.pdf.
Staff Member of the Month: Nominate a staff member to become the Pella Corporation Staff member of the month. Pella Corporation will award one monthly recipient $500.00 to use towards school approved items and a certificate of recognition. A nomination form can be found at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/editoruploads/files/SXC_STAFF_OF_THE_MONTH(2).pdf.
The Office Handouts (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/officehandouts.cfm) is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more! Currently there is information for:
Unity Christian on-line apparel order form for summer sports
Unity Christian Boys Basketball Camp for grades 3-5
Unity Christian Boys Basketball Camp for grades 6-8
Unity Christian Dance Team Try-outs for 8th graders
Dordt University Women's Basketball Youth Skills Camp (note change of date)
Driven School of Driving-Summer Session
Unity Christian Summer Sports Camps and Workouts
Western Christian Summer Sports Camps
Sioux Center Christian - Home Bulletin (Weekly Newsletter)
The Home Bulletin is updated every Wednesday during the school year. Parents are sent a link through Bloomz. Grandparents & supporters may request to receive it via email. Please email Donna Brue with your information.
The Bulletin Board is distributed quarterly through churches and SCCS families.